Thursday, September 25, 2008

Knowledge Corner II

A continuation of what I posted in the previous blog. What was done here was first to conceive in your mind what Ratio of lighting you want to achieve in the final image, here I chose the 4:1 ratio (basically a 4 stop difference between the main light and the fill, or was it 2:1, Geese, I can’t even remember, so lets say your Main light is f8, (which was to the right of the camera) and that would mean your fill would be f2 (to the left of the camera using a strobe bounced using a brolly). Take note that a lightmeter was used here as this is a studio set up not an on location shoot! ☺ Now to get that high key effect but still maintain shadows in the subject, two back lights were used to make the grey backdrop appear white, yes it was grey! ☺ and the model was basically standing in a white plexy board (2x4m) I know, it’s that small but it doesn’t matter as we’ll blow that out later on with the lights. And so, after getting the reading for the Main and the Fill, we’re now ready to set the 2 lights, so I set it up to 2 stops up form the main light (if I remember it right), you could always set it t taste by checking it from your light meter (see? That’s why light meter comes in handy in studio shoots!) Why two lights as background lights? So as not to create a halo of white at the back of the subject and a vignette towards the end of the image therefore not overexposing the whole background and taking into consideration that I used plexy board where the model is standing so it would appear in the final photo if I wont totally over expose the whole thing aside from the model. Since I cranked it up by 2 stops so each light must be a stop each from the main light. The final step would be to take the reading from the model for the camera setting.
Next stop? Fire away and enjoy!

This one goes out to my photography mentors:

www.photosbykengo.com
www.flickr.com/photos/moetwain
www.ognita.com

Thanks guys, you’re a huge part of this passion that I have right now!

No comments: